A Love Letter to My Mom
Dear Mom,
Thank you for loving me.
You have cared for me in ways I can never fully appreciate or understand.
But I thank you.
Thank you for all the practical ways you loved.
For all the home-cooked meals
the homemade birthday cakes
the dresses you sewed
the clean and organized home
how you added beauty and a feminine touch
in needle point
and putting up our pictures and
artwork
in decorating for the holidays
I thank you.
in decorating for the holidays
I thank you.
But more than these things
for caring
for asking
for listening
for teaching
for being there
for caring for me when I was sick
tired, confused
I will never forget you
and I hope by God's grace to be like you
you never wrote a blog
you never wrote a book
you only worked as a nurse when we were in school
you were home when we were home
you never went to Africa
you never had a "ministry"
you spent many a day changing diapers
cleaning house
cooking food
playing with toddlers
what some might view as insignificant
and a waste of your talents
but not me
your input in my life can never be measured
your example to me of love,
practical service
and time invested are a
powerful example that will stay with me
the rest of my life
and will hopefully
pass on through me to my children as well.
as I try to understand what it means to be a wife,
a mother,
a woman
I thank you.
I love you, Mom.
you never wrote a blog
you never wrote a book
you only worked as a nurse when we were in school
you were home when we were home
you never went to Africa
you never had a "ministry"
you spent many a day changing diapers
cleaning house
cooking food
playing with toddlers
what some might view as insignificant
and a waste of your talents
but not me
your input in my life can never be measured
your example to me of love,
practical service
and time invested are a
powerful example that will stay with me
the rest of my life
and will hopefully
pass on through me to my children as well.
as I try to understand what it means to be a wife,
a mother,
a woman
I thank you.
I love you, Mom.
post script:
I mean no disrespect for all the wonderful women who write, speak, lead, travel, have careers. Of course, women can do all kinds of amazing and wonderful things.
I only mean to say that I see great significance in my mom's life in the daily, seemingly, mundane activities of motherhood. What I remember and appreciate her for, was her willingness to do this in love for us.
A home is about the relationships of love we have with one another not whether anything is homemade or not. Anytime I put things (even my desire for home to be a certain way) over people, I end up losing both.
Again, this poem is just to say how much I appreciate my mom and the things she did in love. She did not view those things as a waste or her talent or her time or her potential.
13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3
1 Corinthians 13:1-3
Really beautiful, Susan! It's a love song to your mom, and to all moms.
ReplyDeleteYou haven't read the Little House books in a while, right? All sorts of things happen and the mom is just a calm presence in the background usually, but then Laura goes off to teach a school and she boards with a family where the mom goes crazy with cabin fever and all of a sudden I realized the strength of the pioneer woman who didn't.
Thanks for honoring the quiet strength the world never applauds.
It is really well written and loving.